Guest Star KARA’s Picks of the Week for 10/30/13!
- Saga #15 - I’ve judged this book by its cover, and I have found it EXCELLENT. If you haven’t started this series yet, a) WHY HAVEN’T YOU and b) GET ON THAT. It’s engrossing and weird and utterly wonderful, and you’ll want to wallpaper your life in Fiona Staples’s art.
- Powerpuff Girls #2 - Cue the theme song. The first issue set the tone as a spot-on adaptation of the killer Cartoon Network series of yore. You can just about hear the characters talking in their voices as you read. Plus, more Mojo Jojo is always a good thing.
- The Fox #1 - I have a soft spot for the Red Circle heroes, so when The Fox was announced I was excited, but when I saw that Mark Waid was involved I almost passed out. It’s gonna be good, is what I’m trying to say here. Stop reading this list and start reading this book, NOW.
- Damian: Son of Batman #1 - Definitely scared to read this one. DC killing off Damian was rage-inducing for me, so I’m not sure I’m ready to have my heart broken again. But I’m also morbidly curious, so, yeah, I’ll read it. I just might have to angry-capslock-tweet about it afterwards.
Kara supervises the international production team at comiXologyand is super excited about her Halloween costume this year.
Shane’s Pull List For 10/30/13
Shane is the social media guy at comiXology and is dressing as a DIY Black Bolt for Halloween.
Guest Star KARA’s Picks of the Week for 10/23/13!
- Sex Criminals #2 - The first issue was totally racy in the best possible way: a maturely handled, well written, immensely relatable story of female sexual awakening. Also, our heroine and her cohort rob banks because when they [redacted], time stops around them. Seriously, how are you not reading this?
- Rat Queens #2 - They drink, they cuss, they fight—they’re the Rat Queens, and they’re AWESOME. They’re not “strong female characters,” they’re here to party, and tough cookies if you get in their way.
- Pretty Deadly #1 - Come for Kelly Sue but stay for Emma. Her art is almost unfairly amazing. I’m so mesmerized I might not even read the words (at least at first). You’ve read the hype, now read the book.
- Green Team: Teen Trillionaires #5 - Yeah, if you had that much money, you’d buy a super suit, too. This glorious trainwreck is DC Comics’ answer to Rich Kids Of Instagram and their ilk. It’s ridiculous and over the top, and that’s why I love it.
Kara supervises the international production team at comiXology and has a small army of Transformers on her desk.
Shane’s Picks of the Week (10/16/13)
- PICK OF THE WEEK: Hawkeye #13 - I couldn’t wait to read this before I made my picks so I read it and it’s great and bromazing and brobrobrobrobro. So glad it’s back. <3 u fraction.
- Six-Gun Gorilla #5 (of 6) - I don’t know what I’m going to do when this one ends, it’s been my sleeper hit of the year.
- Avengers #21 - I would be entirely okay if this issue is just 22 pages of people high-fiving Thor for his awesome display of radness in Infinity #4
- Sheltered #4 - It’s come to my attention that no one I know is reading this title and I on the other hand am sitting over here loving it. Can one of you check it out and talk to me about how neat it is?!
Shane is the social media dude at comiXology and still can’t feel his legs since NYCC2013
Shane’s Picks of the Week (10/9/13)
- PICK OF THE WEEK: Thor: God of Thunder #14 - JASOOOOOOOOOON AAAAAAARONN! FAAAAAANTASTIC!
- Batman #24 - Guys… did you see the Riddler blow that dude’s arm off? Jeeze Louise. That was my favorite Villians Month book, but I’m pretty stoked Zero Year is back in full swing tbh. Also this book is double length! Bigger is better, amirite?
- Deadpool #18 - I think this cover is rad, also this arc is rad. On a scale of one to rad I rate this “rad!”
- Infinity #4 - I cheated and read this already and y’all are in for a treat. Thor is a certified BAMF
- Afterlife With Archie #1 - I never ever thought I would have an Archie book on my list, but… here we are. Francavilla is the man and yeah! zombies! Halloween is coming! Fall is here! The only thing better than this would have been “Pumpkin Spiced Archie”
Shane is the marketing assistant at comiXology and is working on a script for Pumpkin Spiced Archie #1.
Kevin’s Picks of The Week (10/01/2013)
- Pick of The Week: The Witching Hour: An Anthology of supernatural shorts by some of today’s top creators? Sign me up!
- The Reason for Dragons #1: This coming of age tale is nothing short of a hidden-gem of a comic. All I can say is read it yourself and get ready for an adventure you will absolutely lose yourself in…in a good way.
- Shadowman #11: Not only is this a super fun Halloween tale, it’s a perfect jumping on point for new readers. If you’ve been wanting to check out the world of Shadowman, don’t miss this issue.
- Fantomex MAX #1: No holds-barred, sexy good times, and questionable French accents? I’m there, and after reading this debut issue you will be to, I mean what’s not to love about Fantomex?
Shane’s Picks of the Week (9/25/13)
- PICK OF THE WEEK: Saga #14 - Because duh.
- East of West #6 - I only just started reading this when the trade came out the other week, and I really really dug it. It’s got western stuff, its got sci-fi stuff, its got apocalyptical stuff. So it’s got pretty much everything good.
- Rat Queens #1 - If you know me you’ve probably heard me talk about this book a bunch. I’ve been really excited for this for a while and not just because I enjoy girls who enjoy magic and adventure and drinking… but mostly because of that.
- Sex Criminals #1 - I actually already read this and I fell completely in love with it. If I made a wishlist of two things I would want in every comic ever it would be Vladimir Nabokov references and crudely drawn doodles of people having sex in various positions. It’s like Fraction read my dream journal or something…
- Deadpool vol. 4 #17 - This new arc, The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, is so freaking good. Seriously, go back two issues to #15 and pick it up because it’s incredible. Shalvey’s art is just spot on. Best Deadpool I’ve read in a long time.
Shane is the marketing assistant at comiXology and can’t wait to try out the Fleshy Lightswtich.
Shane’s Picks of the Week (9/18/13)
- PICK OF THE WEEK: Thor: God of Thunder #13 - How many times do I have to tell y’all that this is one of the most epic books out right now. And yeah, last one was all well and good, but now we’re back to the baddy beating business and Malekith is on deck. Esad Ribic is out on this issue, but he was kind enough to leave us with an awesome cover.
- Five Ghosts vol. 1: The Haunting of Fabian Gray - Maaaaan am I excited to read this one. Ghosts AND Literary icons? I’m not sure how you can get any better than that. The only thing that could give it a run for it’s money might be…
- Six-Gun Gorilla #4 - A GORILLA WITH A STEAMPUNK RIFLE! Do I need to say more? Yeah? Okay… well. This has been a surprise favorite for me this summer. Reality-show-satire meets space-western-pastiche. C’mon!
- Captain Marvel #16 - Okay… listen. Maybe you’ve noticed that I have a massive comic-book-crush on Kelly Sue DeConnick, and that would be because I do in fact have a massive comic-book-crush on Kelly Sue DeConnick, but it’s not just because shes lovely but because Captain Marvel is one of the best books out right now and if you’re not reading it by now then I don’t know how to help you. Help me help you. Read this.
Shane is the marketing assistant at comiXology and wishes he was still in high school so he could ask Kelly Sue to go to prom with him.
Kara’s Picks of the Week (9/11/13)
- Red Sonja #3 - Our heroine is alone with her thoughts? Sold. Gail Simone is an absolute genius at writing believable voices for her characters, and watching the red headed devil fight her own dark inner voice is going to be amazing.
- My Little Pony: Micro Series - Celestia - Calling all Bronies and Pegasisters! Finally, a book that shows us what Celestia is up to when she’s not reading letters from Twilight Sparkle and friends. Read and learn how to deal with everypony’s snark and drama like a pro princess.
- X-Men Vol. 4 #5 - Never read X-Men? No problem. Jump right in with the all-female mutant team for an issue of time-traveling dilemmas and good old fashioned team drama.
- Justice League 23.2: Featuring Lobo/Lobo #1 - You had me at “Screw You.” Marguerite Bennet made me root for our smokin’ antihero in the first ten words of this New 52 Villains Month book. Is it too soon to beg for an ongoing?
Kara supervises the international production team at comiXology and may or may not be writing sparkly New 52 Lobo fanfiction right now.
Shane’s Picks of the Week (9/11/13)
- PICK OF THE WEEK: TEOTFW - This is one of strangest graphic novels I’ve read in a while. Simplistic yet wholly engrossing and definitely unpredictable. Also, rumor has it that TEOTFW is in the process of being turned into a web series, so that’s pretty neat!
- East of West vol. 1: The Promise - I’ve been wanting to get into this series for so long, but I just haven’t had the time. Well that time is now! Very exciting. Hickman has been everywhere lately, eh?
- FBP: Federal Bureau of Physics #3 - The last issue ended with quite the twist, and I’m so stoked on the concept of alternate universes, that doesn’t have to do with time travel.
- X-Men #5 - Speaking of time travel! I’m kind of crazy about Battle of the Atom so far, and it’s probably because Jason Aaron had a large part in coming up with the event, and I sure do love anything Jason Aaron touches. Even if you’re not caught up with the whole X-Men universe, this event is a great place to jump in!
Shane is the marketing assistant at comiXology and is attempting to grow a glorious beard just like his hero Jason Aaron.