JACK KIRBY IN CONTEXT
Two years ago, Jack Kirby’s granddaughter Jillian launched Kirby4Heroes, a campaign to raise funds for the Hero Initiative, which helps comic artists in need. On the Kirby4Heroes Facebook page, Jillian posted several vintage pictures of her grandfather.
I thought it would be illuminating to provide a guide to what Kirby was working on at the time of each photo. Sometimes we forget that personal and professional lives don’t exist in vacuums.
(1) July 1941: Only months after the introduction of Captain America, Kirby and Joe Simon would soon leave Timely Comics. Jack and Roz Kirby spent a day at Brighton Beach.
(2) May 1961: Fantastic Four #1 was in development. It would hit newsstands on August 8. Bar Mitzvah for Neal Kirby.
(3) December 1963. Avengers #4, featuring the return of Captain America, was on newsstands. Tales of Suspense #52, featuring the first appearance of Black Widow, was at the printers. The growing Kirby family celebrated Hanukkah.
(4) July 1965: The debuts of the Inhumans (in Fantastic Four) and the Sentinels (in X-Men) were in production.
(5) June 1966: The fully-Kirby-scripted S.H.I.E.L.D. story in Strange Tales #148 hit newsstands (along with all of these). “I [did] a little editing later, but it was [Jack’s] story.” Lee said in an interview. Neal Kirby graduated.
On July 12, after Joe Simon began efforts to claim sole ownership of Captain America, Martin Goodman persuaded Jack Kirby to sign a deposition stating that Captain America, and all the work he’d done for Timely in the early 40s, was done with the understanding that it “belonged to Timely.”
(You can read much more about this in Marvel Comics: The Untold Story.)
All images ©2013 by Connie, Neal and Jillian Kirby.
- therankspoon reblogged this from mattfractionblog
- thefamousflames likes this
- unclebunkstrunk reblogged this from craigfernandez
- 4acesdave likes this
- bookwyrmknight reblogged this from seanhowe
- bookwyrmknight likes this
- destroythemeek likes this
- xenokattz reblogged this from brianmichaelbendis
- jettpack likes this
- julio-claudian-dynasty reblogged this from brianmichaelbendis
- allthebesthere likes this
- thebobbycrogan likes this
- cataclysmicvisions reblogged this from kierongillen
- brimleymuffins reblogged this from comixology
- blastro likes this
- shatterlands reblogged this from simiansyndicate
- simiansyndicate reblogged this from fuckyeah-nerdery
- nomoremorons reblogged this from seanhowe
- toparisfromtokyo likes this
- dystopiancircus reblogged this from seanhowe
- dystopiancircus likes this
- discordgoddess likes this
- billmurrayisspiderman reblogged this from seanhowe
- billmurrayisspiderman likes this
- marciogomiero likes this
- tenmaranger likes this
- changingshades reblogged this from hermione-ganja
- hermione-ganja reblogged this from mattfractionblog
- hermione-ganja likes this
- anniefacio likes this
- balthazarrr reblogged this from themarvelageofcomics
- calebtheraconteur reblogged this from mattfractionblog
- zerotin likes this
- boardnroom reblogged this from comicblah
- rockdamadeus reblogged this from naz-islike
- naz-islike reblogged this from robot6
- pajamajalapeno reblogged this from seanhowe
- luebes likes this
- misudottie likes this
- toyplissken reblogged this from comicblah
- mvlgiela reblogged this from comicblah
- mandrewgora likes this
- kaijuhearmenow reblogged this from shingo-the-pest
- mancuniansplendor likes this
- galactus12 likes this
- toyplissken likes this
- ifihadablogidcallit likes this
- vincethehuman likes this
- thenerdquest likes this
- straygods likes this