A comiXologist Recommends:
Jonah Chuang recommends The Sandman: Overture #3
Neil Gaiman and J.H. Williams III’s The Sandman: Overture is the kind of series that you have to sit down and absorb in order to appreciate it fully. The art is mind-blowingly detailed and expansive, and the content of the story is cerebral and rich.
This series is the prequel to the acclaimed original Sandman series from way back in 1991. In the beginning of that story, the protagonist, Dream of the Endless (the lord, master and literal embodiment of dreams), is returning to Earth, exhausted from a long battle when he is caught in a trap by a mediocre human sorcerer and kept prisoner for a long time, causing all kinds of problems. This story is the story of the epic battle and it so far it has been exactly that: epic.
In the first two issues, Dream encounters his alternate selves and learns of his death and the existence of a “mad star” (like the Sun, but crazy) that’s poised to destroy the universe. As a result, Dream must go stop this star, as, apparently, it is his fault that it’s mad to begin with.
In this issue, Dream goes over to the place where none of the Endless can go and then goes in anyway. Partnered with a giant cat version of yourself, Dream walks through a lawless land of dangerous criminals and murderers looking for answers. The story takes on a fantasy space western feel, which is actually pretty big right now.
J.H. Williams III’s art is nuts, and perfect for this book. There’s no other way to describe it except imagination made physical. There are also a bunch of little familiar nuggets in this story that make you want to go back and read the original series again and rediscover the magic all over again.
Jonah Chuang is a Production Coordinator Assistant. He is very much looking forward to seeing the footage from Avengers: Age of Ultron.
- fictari reblogged this from comixology
- themagiclibrarian reblogged this from thegraphiclibrarian and added:
- thegraphiclibrarian reblogged this from comixology
- notsohumane reblogged this from mrsmonarch
- humaneramblings reblogged this from mrsmonarch
- punkeroc likes this
- hrmzd reblogged this from comixology
- hrmzd likes this
- common-court3sy likes this
- mega-man-zero-love reblogged this from comixology
- admotaku likes this
- chuparrosa likes this
- therighteouscollective reblogged this from comixology
- travisghent reblogged this from comixology and added:
- brandonf904 likes this
- asociopathicwhovianinatrenchcoat likes this
- realspiderlegs said: 3 finally came out? i grew a full beard between #2 and #3.
- realspiderlegs likes this
- alexmarley5 likes this
- nothingbutcomics likes this
- fetusthesnail likes this
- praxis23 likes this
- colorinfinitymedia likes this
- rizaoftheowls likes this
- its-all-dark reblogged this from comixology
- magickath likes this
- msdoomandgloom reblogged this from comixology
- msdoomandgloom likes this
- yyarow reblogged this from comixology
- yyarow likes this
- skullboy2772 likes this
- mrsmonarch reblogged this from comicbookguru
- venneh likes this
- comicbookguru reblogged this from comixology
- comicbookguru likes this
- derekleemills reblogged this from lyrafay
- merrickmueller likes this
- stevebeach likes this
- isomorphismes likes this
- jeffreyweston likes this
- doragoso likes this
- rmangi reblogged this from comixology
- joelbryanart likes this
- ellington3 reblogged this from comixology
- ellington3 likes this
- thebobz likes this
- richietenenbaumssuicidenote reblogged this from comixology
- richietenenbaumssuicidenote likes this
- rhaegal-viserion-drogon likes this
- wonblackguy reblogged this from comixology